History at St Andrew’s
At St Andrew’s we are historians. We encourage children to develop a love for history of Britain and the wider world. We want to inspire them to take on similar roles to archaeologists, archivists, museum curators through hands on teaching and learning opportunities.
How we learn
At St Andrew’s Primary School, history is taught as two depth studies over two half terms in every class. It can also be accessed through reading and cross-curricular lessons.
- Topics are blocked to allow children to focus on developing their skills and knowledge for history.
- At the start of each topic, children are assessed as to what they already know from the previous topic and what they think they know about the impending topic.
- Children are also given the chance to explain what they want to know by asking questions at the start of each topic.
- Children are given knowledge organisers where key vocabulary, important dates, significant people, facts, and enquiry questions are kept.
- Children are introduced to books related to each topic.